Page Buttons

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

NTT, Liberty Lawn, and Feeling a Little Lost

Happy Needle and Thread Thursday, friends!  Last week, I took my beloved Bernina in for what I thought was a regular servicing appointment.  She is only three years old and was sewing just fine, but the service light came on, which I thought just meant that it was time for regular maintenance.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  Apparently, the metal teeth of the main gear inside of the machine were almost completely worn down on one side.  I saw the gear myself, and I just couldn't believe it.  The part is on order and my machine won't be ready for another week and a half or so, which has me feeling a little bit lost.  I am SO grateful for my backup Elna, and have still been keeping very busy with it, but since free motion quilting relies so heavily on the "feel" of the machine, I am in a holding pattern on actually finishing anything.  Sadness...

I have three quilts all basted and ready when she returns, including this quilt made with Liberty Lawn fabrics in my Chapel Glass pattern.  I've been wanting to make a darker version of this pattern for awhile, to really give the illusion of stained glass, and I can't wait to quilt it (and can't wait for a sunny day to really show the colors, either)!


I finally purchased that fat sixteenth bundle from Lady Belle Fabric that I had been eyeing.  The bundle contains 22 different Liberty prints, and even though the pieces aren't big (about 9" x 13"), I was able to choose a pattern that would use them judiciously without wasting them;  and it didn't break the bank.  Win, win!  I do have some thoughts on working with the Liberty lawn fabrics, but I'll reserve all judgments until after I completely finish the quilt.


The second is a quilt for the grandson of a friend (due in May). The shades of navy, baby blue, and gray, with pops of red will match his nursery.  This Double Slice pattern is turning out really cute!  I'm still not able to share my secret sewing with you, but that is the third quilt, all ready and waiting for the return of my machine.  All of my safety pins for basting are in use now, so until I can reclaim some of them, it's all cutting and piecing from here on out!

So, last week's party was amazing, as usual!  Amanda at The Cozy Pumpkin linked up her Emerald Isle quilt, and I think the green and white is so striking, and perfect for spring!


I love the beautiful rippling effect created by this one from Sew Preeti Quilts, called Skipped a Stone.


And this sweet little quilt from Lori at Crossquilt is so colorful and fun!  Our guild received a donation of some of these fabrics, and we decided to let our members choose a few to make our quilts for our local children's hospital.  I haven't cut into my own Mushroom World fat quarters yet, but Lori's quilt offers me some great inspiration for this cute line.


So, I hope that you've been getting lots of fun sewing time this week!  I can't wait to see it!

1.  You can link finished projects or WIP's , but just keep it about quilting and sewing!
2. Link to your specific post (not to your home page!) to make it easier for others.
3. Please remember to spread the word and post my button or a text link.  
4. Spread the comment love far and wide!
5. Following me is not a requirement to link, but is so very appreciated!

*If you're new to the party, here's a helpful tip for linking up- select "Auto Crop"  when selecting your thumbnail photo.  For some reason, trying to crop your own image results in the dreaded "white question mark box," and we definitely want to see your awesome work!  :)


9 comments:

  1. Oh thank you, Kelly for showcasing "Skipped a Stone". Hope you get your Bernina back soon. I would be miserable without my machine for more than three days. I have yet to try the Double Slice pattern but you are inspiring me to do so.
    Hugs,
    Preeti.
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to know your tips on working with Liberty Lawn. I have a bundle of Liberty from our quilt guild's annual auction from the stash of an elderly guild member who is no longer quilting. I can't wait to sew it, want all the tips I can get first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also anxious to hear your thoughts on sewing wth Liberty. I love the simplicity of the double slice. I've yet to make one but it's still on my list somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, not having the main sewing machine is the worst. I'm sorry! Hopefully all will be well soon. I am LOVING your use of Liberty and am also looking forward to your tips. I have only worked with it once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I feel your pain! I know my machine probably needs a service, but I just can bear to part with it! I do love your Liberty Lawn quilt and do hope it quilts up beautifully, they can be a little slippery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My machine is sounding just awful so I switched to my little back up and it is so annoying. I actually think I need to replace my 6500 (Janome) because it continually gives me trouble. Ugh.

    I love the chapel glass quilt. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not much worse than a sewing machine in the shop! It's a first-world problem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kelly, so sorry about your machine!! That's a bummer! I'm currently sewing without a foot pedal (start and stop button for the win!) because my machine started "ghost sewing"in the middle of a massive deadline. Hope it gets fixed soon and you're up and running again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your machine is back and working well soon. I'd be lost because right now I only have one machine. All that Liberty fabric is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips