Page Buttons

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Needle and Thread Thursday!

Happy NTT, friends!  If you missed it, I finished up the queen sized Ambleside quilt and posted the finish HERE, and for the last couple of days, I've been working on something new.  We are smack in the middle of the holiday season, and I'm working on a quilt with a holiday flair-


Not what you were expecting?  We all get so preoccupied with Thanksgiving and Christmas, but if I asked you what holiday comes after Christmas, I know many would probably say Valentine's Day.  That is, unless you live (or are from) Louisiana.  For us, Mardi Gras is next!  Mardi Gras day falls on the Tuesday right before Lent, but we actually let the good times roll for an entire season, beginning on January 6th.  This day is also known as Twelfth Night, Three Kings Day, or Epiphany.

Many Louisiana folks decorate their homes for Mardi Gras, and some even take the decorations off of the Christmas tree and replace them with ones of green, purple, and gold (not me, by the way).  This quilt is for a friend in Louisiana who wants a Mardi Gras quilt, and was very clear about the fact that he had no qualms about it being loud and busy.  After all, Mardi Gras is a glitzy holiday, so why should a quilt to celebrate it be any different?  I chose to make a diamond pattern because it reminds me of harlequin masks, which are often used in the decor of the season.  I just need to get this top squared up, and get going on the backing!

Alrighty then!  Check out some of the highlights from last week's fabulous party!  Afton from Quilting Mod shared this fun mini-


Beth from Cooking Up Quilts showed off this quilt, called Snap, Crackle, Pop!  Isn't it awesome?


and Heather from QA Creations linked up her newest quilt, Forging Steel.  Gorgeous!


So, maybe you're working on holiday projects of a different kind; or maybe some holiday gift sewing; or maybe just something fun for yourself?  I can't wait to see!

1.  You can link finished projects or WIP's , but just keep it about quilting and sewing!
2. Link to your specific post (not to your home page!) to make it easier for others.
3. Please remember to spread the word and post my button or a text link.  
4. Spread the comment love far and wide!
5. Following me is not a requirement to link, but is so very appreciated!


11 comments:

  1. love your quilt, your selection of fabrics is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit I was perplexed what holiday the holiday quilt was for - the fleur de lis fabric should have been my clue! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Mardi Gras quilt! It's perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome Mardi Gras quilt! I love all your fabric choices- lots of fun detail in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly! I love your new quilt! Diamonds look so fantastic - I do need to make one quilt with them. Alsot the Snap, Crackel, Pop quilt inspires me very much! Thank you for the party! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Mardis Gras quilt is among my favorites of the quilts you've done; it screams Mardis Gras. Isn't there a fabric of Mardis Gras beads? Google says...Yes! Kaufman Celebration Mardi Gras Beads and others. Maybe for the back...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Mardi Gras diamonds! I don't find it wild at all--I really think you captured the spirit of the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its also called little Christmas and traditionally in Ireland Women's Christmas as it was a girls night out celebrating the fact that the men were doing the cooking and cleaning for a change. Somehow even though times have moved on from women doing all the housework we still take the 6th January off and have a get together! The colours in your Mardi Gras quilt look very celebratory to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the rainbow quilt - I'm definitely partial to those! Linking up a fun way to use up those trimmings and loose thread pieces with a holiday card tutorial. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Mardi Gras quilt is perfect, I knew right away what holiday it was! Now we just need a king cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Mardi Gras quilt is lovely; the diamonds are just perfect for this project and so is the name.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips