My second Shattered Rainbow quilt is finished, and let me tell you- I could not love it more.
Although it is very close to the original, as the creator of both, there are a few differences (that may only be apparent to me). The biggest difference is the gray section. On this quilt, the grays make up nine blocks of the quilt. Only the center block is completely gray (with a trace of black). The other blocks around are a mix of gray and one other color.
Each section of color is connected to its corresponding gray square, which really helps create the illusion of shattering the colors. I worried a little bit about how this effect would really look within the quilt, but I think it really works well. The last thing I wanted was a big gray square.
The second difference is the binding. On both quilts, I planned the binding to correspond with the color sections of the quilt. As with most things, the second time you try something, it is often easier, and I was able to execute this much better this time around. The problem last time is that I planned the binding around the front of the quilt and sewed it together, forgetting that I would need to sew to the back of the quilt first. It turned out well on the first quilt, but not as precise as I would have liked.
On this quilt, however, when the color spills over into the next section, it is only by an inch or two (like the pink and purple), and some of the transitions are perfect (like the red and orange). It is hard to fold the quilt in such a way that it shows all of the binding, but I got as many colors as I could in this shot.
The backing is a shockingly bright, wide-striped rainbow, and I love that the orderly lines compliment the improv pieced front. I also managed to stipple without even the tiniest of puckers on the back of the quilt. I am always grateful when I finish a quilt of this size without one, even though puckering is a super rare occurrence for me.
This quilt is 72" x 99" (full size) and I am absolutely in love with it. Plus, I made this one for keeps, which is even better!