Page Buttons

Friday, October 10, 2014

Rain or Shine

I have been cramming a lot of sewing into this Fall Break "staycation" and finished up my Sunnyside snowball and nine patch quilt yesterday!


I love the colors in this fabric collection, and I think that the white background really keeps it light and airy!  One thing about this pattern- there is a LOT of seam matching.  The blocks themselves are pretty straightforward- just snowball and nine patches (six inches finished) with cleverly placed white squares, but it's when the blocks go together that things can get tricky.


A consistent 1/4 inch seam is crucial to getting all of the nine patch squares to line up perfectly with the edges of the snowball block.  For the most part I did okay, but there are a few places on the quilt where my alignment wasn't perfect.  I don't think it takes away from the quilt as a whole though; it's just a bit annoying.


On the back, I used up every single scrap, along with wide stripes of orange and green.  The Sunnyside fabrics have so much blue and gray, and I really wanted some contrast and color pop on the backing.


I had a fat eighth bundle of these fabrics, and the pattern left a perfect 2.5 inch strip of each one.  I took that as a sign from above that this quilt was begging for a scrappy binding, and I really love it!  Sometimes, I think that busier quilts need a solid binding to contain the crazy a little bit, but with all of the white in this one, the scrappy binding works!


If you've never seen this fabric line up close, it has some really cool prints that include raindrops, clouds, and a cute text print.  It is whimsical without being overdone and feeling like novelty fabric.  In the close up photo above, you can see a good shot of all three.  It's fun, but subtle enough that it doesn't look themed.  I decided to use this subtle design as inspiration for the name.


After working on Hush, Little Baby, it feels wonderful to finish a quilt that I really love, that feels much more "me."


23 comments:

  1. Very Nice! I am not a scrappy quilter, but yours look really nice. I'll copycat the pattern if you don't mind! I need to get out of my "not a scrappy quilter" box! Followed you from Whoop Whoop linky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this fabric....I think I am a bit obsessed with it right now! And it looks great in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, this is a perfect union of two blocks and fabrics. Great job! I want to make one now...
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been a big fan of snowball blocks, but this with the nine patch blocks is awesome. Now, I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back and reread your post and I wanted to share with you one thing I learned that helps with lining up blocks when it really matters. Shorten your stitch length. I am not exactly sure why this works, but it does. Amanda Jean taught me this.

      Delete
  5. I really like this one. I wouldn't have been brave enough to go with a scrappy binding on a scrappier quilt, but you're absolutely right. It looks great and that it must be all the white. Think I'll keep this pattern in mind the next time I'd like to showcase some fun prints (reserving those for the snowballs).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another gorgeous project! The scrappy binding is ideal and it all looks super together. Have fun back at school next week...we start our Term Four on Monday, sigh, I had a 'staycation' too which was lovely, but back to the grindstone now! (Just as well I love the teaching side of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally love your quilt. And love the back as well. Light and airy is a great description. Great color play. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finish! A little scary with all the seam-matching, but I'm trying to get over being so anal about that kind of stuff. I'd love to try this one ~ Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job Kelly. It is very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty, of course! You've had tons of great finishes! Love the binding too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. I love 9 patch quilts and this is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!! White background really shows the prints and the binding is perfect. Lovely finish, Kelly :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fabrics and colors too and the white odes make it all feel fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is beautiful!!! You have such talent! I am curious what size your blocks are if you feel you can share it. Love your blog!!,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this too fast...found the size! Love it so much!

      Delete
  15. This is fabulous. I'm such a sucker for Kate Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my favourite fabric line and I still have it all hoarded to make a huge Swoon (trying to knock some other WiPs out of the way first). I keep changing my mind on background and if I made the right choice with white (I've bought yards of white in Quilter's Linen) but seeing this against the white makes me happy I did pick the right colour! It really is stunning on white.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt...and I really love your quilt label!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips