Page Buttons

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Daydreams, and Awesome News!

Fall Break has been kind and has afforded me lots of great, relaxing sewing time, and I was almost able to finish this little (45 x 45in.) baby quilt yesterday.  This morning, I just had to stitch the binding on and take advantage of the gorgeous morning light with a few photos.


This is a baby quilt for a friend at work.  She brought me a few focus fabrics for the quilt and let me have creative license with the rest.  I just love this color combination.  The red is really more of a pinkish red than is showing in the pictures, and it's just the right pop of color against the dreamy aquas and grays.


Another request from my friend is that the baby's name and birthdate be monogrammed and put into the quilt on the front.  This was certainly a first for me, and although I didn't do the monogramming myself, it did dictate the design of the quilt.  I wanted it to look like it belonged in the quilt, rather than a random patch stuck in the middle of the pattern.  I chose a Double Slice pattern, since the blocks created were the perfect size for including this.  I have covered the name/date in the picture, but you can still get an idea of how it fits into the quilt (where the arrow is pointing).  Now that it's finished, I think it's a neat little addition that makes the quilt special.


I went with an all over simple meander for the quilting, although I didn't quilt through the monogramming (that's the patch on the bottom left side that's unquilted).  I just love this aqua fabric, and it keeps the backing looking soft.



The binding is a great fabric that I found in the quilter's aisle at Joann's.  It's a sketchy print, and the perfect shade of pinkish red.  It was really difficult to find fabrics that were the right shade to match the fabric she gave me (the fabric she gave me is the one with the red and pink blossoms you can see really well here).  So when I saw that binding fabric, I snatched it right up!

And now, my awesome news!  I met with the owner of my local sewing shop yesterday.  They aren't a quilt shop, but they have a great fabrics, gifts, and clothes and offer sewing classes.  Although they have a lot of gifty things with fabric, they didn't sell quilts...until yesterday!  They are going to start selling my quilts in the shop, and will also refer customers to me for custom quilts.  YAY!  I am so excited!  They have a couple of quilts right now, and I'm hoping to get a few more made before their big holiday open house coming up in November.  Somebody pinch me!


44 comments:

  1. What great news for you--and for the lucky owners of one of your quilts! You are truly so inspiring with all the beautiful quilts you create even though you are tremendously busy. I appreciated your post on how you manage to get so many quilts done. Would you be interested in writing one about how you keep up your desire to quilt. I am back in college and just feel too tired and stressed to sew most of the time. If you have any tips about keeping the inspiration going, I would be so happy to read them!
    Again, congratulations on your new "job"!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I hope everything sells quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt. That binding fabric is great! And congratulations on the new business venture. That's very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Awesome news! Good luck in your new venture with the sewing shop. Also, love your little quilt. Such a great color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful Kelly! Congrats! And that is a beautiful quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt! Congratulations that is just awesome!!!!!! I hope you have a good and profitable holiday season!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinch! No, you're not dreaming! Congratulations Kelly. Sew happy and proud. The baby quilt is sweet - I love aqua and red, too. And I have to agree that reds are hard to match up. Some are more orange-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOw good for you Kelly, I hope it goes well, remember to charge accordingly for your time that you put into the quilts too. This is a great quilt, I am sure your friend will like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! This is fabulous news! Your baby quilt is very pretty, love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, that is exciting news! Good luck with your new adventure:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! You have deserved it!!!
    I love this new baby quilt too! The binding fabric is perfect,
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, what a wonderful opportunity for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The aqua, red, and gray are beautiful together! I'm interested in the pattern, Double Slice?! Is there a tutorial for it somewhere? Looks like it is fun to make. Congratulations on your new venture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another pretty finish! Exciting news for you! Can't wait to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats awesome. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats - that's fantastic! Your work is great and the quilting on this latest project looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Kelly! You're becoming quite the prolific quilter. Here's hoping you sell out and get many a commission. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!!! That's awesome! :-D :-D :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you. You so deserve to share your beautiful quilting with the world! :-))))))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome Kelly! You were made for custom quilts and you are fast enough to actually get them done:) Love this quilt and the colors are spot on. I actually just bought that same binding print! Love it. I got some in grey too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That IS awesome news. Congrats! The quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, congratulations Kelly! That is so wonderful. I am happy that you now have a creative outlet for your fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This quilt is gorgeous, I love the simple pattern and the colours. Congrats on being part of a shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on finding a place to sell your quilts! that's got to be a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on finding an outlet to sell your beautiful quilts. This is such exciting news.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations Kelly! Your work is beautiful and I LOVE your energy! This quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats, so exciting!! Love your quilt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great colour combination. This is a cute little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous! I love this color combo. The tag is sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whoop whoop, Kelly! That's awesome news!! And a really pretty quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is a beautiful cheery quilt...such a nice color combination. And congrats ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your little baby quilt is so delightful! Love the colors and hooray finding fabric for the binding that matches the pretty red in the quilt! A huge congrats on the opportunity to sell quilts at your local fabric store! If anyone can do it it is you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on the new endeavor and the quilt looks great! Do you usually machine stitch down your bindings? I've not done it, so was wondering how challenging it is to get it even all the way around. Love Joann's....they actually do have nice fabric if you look. =)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the colors in this! So pretty. The morning light is gorgeous in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very exciting news! Congratulations! Love the baby quilt - the color combination is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  37. That's exciting news, Kelly! Congrats! And a great quilt to boot! To be eligible for the OctoberQuest 2 prizes though, you need to link back to the TGIFF! party in your post. I've unlinked you, but if you add a link, you can link back up! We'd love for you to be eligible to win!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this scrappy baby quilt. It's versatile and will definitely be well loved and used.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Okay I'll pinch you. Do you realize how much more work you will be doing? Even though we don't think of quilting as work, but playtime, when you are trying to please others, dang it is work.LOL BTW, how did you do the lettering on the quilt label? Will you be telling me that it is perfectly printed........by hand?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips