Page Buttons

Sunday, June 30, 2013

X Plussing on Carnaby Street

In keeping with my whole stash busting mission, and because I've been just itching to cut into some bright, modern fabrics after the soft shabby chic tones of Polkadots and Posies, I decided to pull out all of my fabric leftovers from my Carnaby Street Chic quilt and start mulling over a design that would do justice to their awesomeness.

After seeing THIS quilt at Bijou Lovely and THESE awesome blocks by Laura at Little and Lots, I decided on an X Plus quilt.  The block kind of reminds me of a Union Jack, which is fitting because the Carnaby Street fabrics are all about the groovy fashion of 1960's London.


Instead of a scrappy look, I decided on two shades of gray as the background (Kona Coal and Kona Iron) to really show the fabric line.  Although I'm happy with the choices of gray, I have to say that the un-scrappy look certainly doesn't do any favors for hiding mistakes.  The dark gray plusses were tough to match up, and I wasn't completely successful.  Imperfect?  Yes.  But I still love it.

For the backing, I took all of the little bits and pieces of leftover fabric and just started piecing.  It was so much fun, and I'm getting a lot better at sewing without a plan.  I totally feel like I'm expanding my modern quilting street cred with all this improv.  

I had to add a couple of borders because the pieces weren't quite enough to make a full backing, but the bright pink and teal are the perfect shades!  


Can't wait to get it quilted and bound because this one's all for me!  :)


28 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic. I like it with the two grays. Sometimes the extra scrapiness makes my head hurt when looking at the x plus blocks. Yours changed the design just enough it took me a moment to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, I like the combination of scrappy and controlled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! I love what you did with the grey background. It showcases those beautiful prints and the X plus pattern. I love the backing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the front, but I LOOOOVE the back, that looks so awesome. Xplus blocks are so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pattern you chose and I really like the two grays.
    I really like the back too, great use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like yours!! I saw Holly's quilt too awhile back, and I immediately pinned it. I must make one of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt. I have never seen that block but it really makes the beautiful fabric shine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. send me this one, PUH-lease?!!! what to say? it turned out amazing even with the matching problems (quilting will help hide that), and great choice for background, btw. the back is as awesome as the front! love, love, love it, kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love how your choices of gray really make the scrappy colors pop to the top while the gray completely recedes. It gives it almost a 3-D look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that x+ quilt. I really want to make one, too. Great job. And how great that it's all for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! So bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this one! In my experience, we're our worst critics when it comes to precision, so I wouldn't point them out to anyone :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! Okay, when did you start this project? Please don't tell me you just started it since finishing Polka Dots & Posies last week. I feel like I'm lucky if I can piece together one block over the course of a few days! But I have to try and cut myself some slack as I'm juggling a 3 year old, a house for sale, and a major move.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous fabric choice. I love the use of the grey solid, they make the patterns really pop (and look fabulously scrappy!) What a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much commenting and for your visit! I'm so glad you like it. I looove Carnaby Street too and I'm glad you think the fabrics pop with the gray. That's exactly what I was going for!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  15. I love your version of this. The consistent background gives a really different look to the quilt. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynn! I'm glad you like the solids in the background. I just wanted to keep the spotlight on the Carnaby Street fabric. Thanks for visiting!

      :) Kelly
      ps- you're a no reply blogger, so I'm responding here!

      Delete
  16. I love it, the fabrics, the colors and most of all that pattern. Just divine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am so glad you like it! It was a lot of fun to make!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  17. I love pretty much any x and + block I see, but I love the way you changed up the overall look with your unified background. It makes the quilt look woven. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kelly, this quilt looks awesome! I love the colors. The grey was a great choice...and it looks equally amazing on the back:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute quilt! I love those fabrics the colours are so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful, and the backing is pretty enough to be its own quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how the background you chose makes this patter look so different from other X pluses I've seen. Beautiful fabric and beautiful quilt! That's for stopping by Let's Get Acquainted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips