Page Buttons

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Marmalade Quilt WIP

After all of the manliness of the Western Kaleidoscope and Bricks and Mortar memory quilts, I was ready for a girly-girl fix and fast.  My Marmalade fat eighth bundle fit the bill nicely and I was so excited to cut into it that I actually pressed it while drinking my coffee this morning.  That never happens.  I am a coffee before anything else kinda girl, but I have literally been drooling over this fabric for months.  Months, I tell you.

Non-quilters don't really get it when quilters describe fabric as yummy or  delicious (and I know I'm not the only one).  I know I've been the recipient of more than a few befuddled looks when I've chosen to use these words where fabric is concerned.  But y'all- there is just no other way to say it.  This fabric is delicious!   I just want to love on it- and if I could eat it, I would!

I decided to cut a single square from one of the largest print fat eighths for the center of the quilt.  The rest, I cut in half lengthwise (super easy cutting- score!).  I ordered them into color piles, and just went to town at my machine.  I sewed in a spiral, and basically made a giant log cabin block measuring 64 inches square.  I think it's a great "bang for your buck" pattern- really quick and easy, but looks great.


I pieced the back from leftover strips and also added some Kona Tarragon (which will also be my binding) and some cool orange polkadot fabric strips.  The blue isn't showing up well in the pictures, but it's the same awesome shade of Tiffany blue in the Marmalade fabric.  Come to think of it, the color quality of this picture leaves a lot to be desired, but that's what happens when I finish something at night and my unfortunate lack of patience takes over.


I basted it this evening (basting- ugh) and can't wait to get it quilted and bound.  The lighting is making the backing look more loose than it really is.  It's actually pretty tight.

I'm calling it Ring Around the Rosy- which I know is really a song about the plague, but I'm choosing to ignore that and instead focus on all of the memories I have singing this as a child and spinning myself into a dizzy oblivion.


14 comments:

  1. Love this quilt-thanks for the idea! Yes, what is it about these colors
    always speak to me. Maybe because I grew up in the fifties?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I'm really glad you like it. Yes, these colors remind me of a vintage kitchen, and all of the cool retro aprons that seem to be everywhere now. :)

      -Kelly

      ps- I'm responding here because you are a no-reply blogger.

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is yummy! It really is looking great. I can't believe how quickly you got it done - amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kelly! Yes, they do not get our infatuation with fabric. People are always confused that I'd rather spend money on fabric rather than a manicure. Everything is this question: "How much fabric is this worth!" haahah.

    I love this design - and the fabrics are perfect and so cheerful! I can't believe you pressed all of this before coffee - better woman than me :). I love a chance to change up quilt types, too. I can't wait to see the rest of your shirt quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! Fabric love is definitely confusing for some.

      haha- I was able to sip between fat eighths on the pressing. I don't think I could have done it sans coffee. :)

      btw- responding here, because for some reason, you're showing as a no-reply blogger (I think it's something between blogger and wordpress that causes that). Hope you get my response.

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  4. it's a beauty! can't go wrong with marmalade. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly - I couldn't find an email for you, but I want to talk to you about adding your blog link to our Modern Quilts Unlimited E-Newsletter. Can you contact me at vicki@meanderpublshing.com as soon as possible?

    Vicki Anderson, CEO & Publisher
    Meander Publishing Inc
    Machine Quilting Unlimited / Modern Quilts Unlimited
    1-800-910-1925 ext #1 or 1-720-988-0753 direct
    www.mqumag.com


    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and you got your "fix" I bet!! You are a quilt machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous, might have to give this a try when i need a quick and easy project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a simple yet fun quilt! Makes me want to go dig out some cute fat eights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a fun and happy quilt to make from your scraps. I just wanted to let you know that I repinned your quilt (the one on the fence) three weeks ago from another pinner (I did include the link to your bloodspot) and I am amazed that so far it has 220 pins and 22 likes. I made sure to include in my board another pin which gave the instructions you provided for making a big log cabin quilt. Great quilt! I'll let you know when I made mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment Rose! I'm so glad you like this one. It is a really fun quilt to make. It's very versatile and stress-free. Good luck with yours. I would love to see it when you make it!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
    2. Just in time for the new year; as of today your Ring Around the Rosey Quilt has been pinned 1001 times with 73 likes. How awesome is that! BTW, I did make a diet version of your Grapefruit Fizz Quilt (I changed the corners). I still plan on making this quilt. Have a great new year of creating!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips