Page Buttons

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Texts and Brights

Well friends, we just got back from vacation last night, and though our trip was exhausting, it was so much fun.  It was my wild thing's first trip to Washington, DC and the surrounding areas, and so much was crammed into the past week.  I finished up this quilt top right before we left though, so I wanted to go ahead and share it.


Once again, the siren call of large scale, bold prints has taken hold.  I love making quilts where I can throw all of them together.  This quilt is made with my Courtyard Tiles pattern and in this quilt, I decided to set these bright fabrics against a scrappy text background.  


I've been hoarding text fabrics for awhile to use as a background, but have been a little apprehensive about using them with other prints.  I needed to be sure that there was enough contrast so the pattern wasn't a busy mess.  The Courtyard Tile blocks are large though, and the prints are so bright and bold that I think they work beautifully with the text and have plenty of contrast.

I have really missed sewing, and can't wait to get some time on my machine to finish this one up.  Of course, since we just got back last night, my bags are still waiting to be unpacked and the resulting mountain of laundry will have to be tackled first.  As nice as it is to be home and sleep in my own bed, somehow the aftermath of vacation isn't nearly as fun as the preparation.



12 comments:

  1. Very bright and fun. The text backgrounds work well with the busy prints. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, I purchased this pattern during MayisforMakers and as soon as my sister-in-law saw it, she said she wanted a quilt made with it. I've gotten the main fabric (bread n butter) but have to get the background fabric. I love the the text prints, but I don't think they would work as well with my fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love texty backgrounds and I think you nailed it. Also, good luck scaling Mt. Washmore. That's my least favorite thing about vacation: the never ending pile of laundry when you get home. DC is totally worth it though. Glad you had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! This is one of my favorite quilt patterns and I love the text background! Yet another wonderfully inspirational quilt, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another one to love! I'm always so intrigued by your designs in which you incorporate rounded shapes without using curves. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out great!! Make another one!! 😄. I really do love this pattern. I have been wondering how the pattern would look with a dark background. What do you think? I suppose it would depend on the color and values of the prints I choose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt. I love big bold prints and am always looking out for a quilt to use them in xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your use of text print is a success. I love the quilt. DC is fun. I went to Laurel, MD (Fort Meade) with my parents when I was about ten. My dad was in Army Reserve and he had to go to summer camp each summer. He had a high enough rank that he could stay off base. So, he took Mom and me and then in the evenings we went to DC to see things. Of course, we didn't get into buildings to see things. Yet over 50 years later, it's still a memory. Then my junior year in high school, my church group earned $ and we all went to DC and saw events. It was in the late 60's and we couldn't go swimming as a group because we had a Negro (black now) with us. So, we went an amusement park. We were a group and I don't anyone ever told him. We slept in sleeping bags on the floor in a church in MD. My children went with school groups when they were in 6th grade. Of course, I lived in WV and now OK. It was fairly close for us as a child yet travel was much different. I know it's always great to get home and there's always work. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am saving this for a future project! I love the shape of these blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the use of the text prints for the background. This is giving me ideas for how I might use your pattern. Lots of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pretty and a brilliant way to show off large scale prints - I have some that have been sitting in my stash since I bought them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips