Page Buttons

Saturday, May 23, 2015

A Few Things

Happy summer, my friends!  Yes, I know that the official start of summer isn't until June 21st (ish), but Memorial Day weekend always feels like the kickoff of summer to me.  I also wrapped up the school year yesterday, so life feels pretty free and easy right now.

On that note, I have some exciting news to share.  I have decided to leave teaching, and spend more time pattern designing, as well as some additional commission quilting.  I can't wait to experience all of the fun stay-at-home-mom-benefits that this new flexibility will allow as well.  This is a giant leap, but one I felt I needed to take.

On this glorious first day of summer, I have finished the two preemie donation quilts for the local children's hospital.  The first quilt is made from the leftovers from my Bubble Bath quilt.  I sewed the scraps together using my improv method, then created half square triangles with white.  I've never laid out HST's like this before, and I think it is so fun!  The backing is a pretty gray quatrefoil, and I love the pink binding on it.  This quilt measures 40 inches square.

Incidentally, my Bubble Bath quilt is entered in the Original Design category in the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side.  Voting opened yesterday, and I would love to have your vote in that category!


The second preemie quilt is made from leftover strips from my First Light quilt.  It is 40 inches square as well.  I thought the gray and aqua chevron was just perfect for the backing, and this one has a soft gray crosshatch binding that blends right into the quilt.


I think I've written about this before, but in case you aren't aware, being able to donate these quilts holds a very special place in my heart.  My son was just 3 lbs. 10 oz. at his tiniest, and stayed in the NICU for 5 weeks.  He will turn 11 in a couple of weeks, so those days are long gone, but they will never be forgotten.  It makes my heart so happy to be able to give these tokens of comfort to families who are experiencing such a tough time.



17 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly!
    Such exciting news you have to share today! I love reading your blog and linking up to your linky parties each week.
    As a past educator I can tell you I miss the classroom very much, but it's nice to be home with the kids and one day I plan on returning to the classroom. I wish you much luck and success in your future endeavors!
    I'm excited to see where your new career will lead you and I'm guessing in the future you'll be attending quilt market as you press forward in your new career. So exciting!!!! Congrats Kelly!
    Erica@dressesandspurs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! COngrats on your big step! I'm sure you will be wonderfully sucessful at your pattern making adventure!!! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and best wishes in your new endeavor! I am also leaving teaching this year and retiring! So excited to have more time to create and sew. Thanks for all of your inspiration! And happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting step to take!! Looking forward to seeing your new adventure as you share it here, have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow!! Congratulations and good luck with your new venture, I'm sure you'll succeed. I can't imagine how prolific you'll be now you're not teaching I have been in awe of your ability to teach and sew as much as you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too feel like Memorial day is the beginning of summer!! lol
    I am excited about your new life choices and seeing how it all works together... but I think being home with your children is worth any sacrifice to not miss those moments you may otherwise find yourself at work for ...
    Love your NICU quilts... they will be cherished... I do also do charity quilting and choose someone in need of a quilt and make something especially for them.. I will be unveiling this years person and quilt in the next month too! :)
    Have a blessed Memorial weekend Kelly! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those triangles in the Bubble Bath leftover quilt. I always try to alternate my projects with the scraps into a charity quilt also. As a hand sewer, I don't get a lot done, but I try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing another year of teaching, on finishing two great preemie quilts, and on your new venture in life. I left teaching a bit early, too, and it's a choice I have never regretted. So much to look forward to! I wish you all the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for embarking on a new chapter. Taking that leap to change your course of direction is always exciting, so enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the early retirement from teaching to pursue your dream!!! You will have a fabulous time and I'm so excited to get to share the journey with you on your blog!! Just wait until late August and you don't have to think about amping it up to get back into the classroom - heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you the best in your next adventure. I taught for 12 years and then took a lewve of absence to take a couple business classes and move cross country. Since then I worked in business but tutored part-time a few years. My position was eliminated so now I'm looking for a job and volunteering. I miss teaching and still get a lump in my throat and teary eyed when I see the yellow buses roll out for back to school time. I enjoy your blog and designs so will look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kelly! I'm so happy for you! You will enjoy staying at home with your Children and doing what you love! I'm sure your summer is going to be more relaxed now when you know you don't need to do million of things before starting the school again. Good Luck and I'm looking for what NEW patterns you create! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your preemie quilts are so wonderful. My first son was preemie, too. What a wonderful thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty baby quilts, they will be well loved. Congrats on your new direction!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is exciting news! I've always been impressed with how much quilting you manage to do on a teacher's schedule (especially since I used to teach as well - 3rd grade). You will love having all that free time and I know you will do amazing things! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting! Nothing but happy thoughts for you! You accomplish a lot now, I can't imagine what fun projects you will come up with! Best wishes! I understand the preemie thing. My youngest was in the NICU for 14 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips