I've been working over the last few days to plow through my scrap jars in color order, and I finally managed to sew all of my scraps into blocks. This afternoon, I put all of the blocks together and finished up the top!
The sky has been pouring rain all last night and this morning, and the sun finally came out. It wasn't dry enough to lay the quilt on the deck or grass, so my patient quilt assistant had to hold it up while stretching his arms out as wide as possible. Still, the quilt is 88"x96," so even then you can't quite see all of it in this photo.
I really gave a lot of thought to how I wanted to lay out the colors in this quilt. Although I like the look of orderly rainbow stripes, I knew that I had tons of scraps in some colors (aqua, green, and yellow), and only tiny amounts of others (pink and purple). Stripes work best when there are fairly equal amounts of each color.
Instead, I decided use my grays as the "center," and have the other colors radiating out from it. Offsetting the gray patch in the upper right corner kept my smaller number of pink and purple blocks from looking weird. Overall, I think it's really unique.
Now, I just have to decide on what to do for the back. I have a couple of ideas rolling around in my head, and I just need to sketch it out and put it together!