Page Buttons

Monday, April 21, 2014

Back in the Saddle

Wow!  The last few weeks have blown by like a whirlwind.  I've spent every spare minute studying for my exam, and I think it went very well (huge sigh of relief).  Now that it's over, I'm so thrilled to be back at my sewing machine.  My first order of business is to catch up with the Triangle QAL going on over at The Sassy Quilter.

On Saturday afternoon, I managed to get all of my triangles cut out.  Laying them out took a little bit longer than I anticipated, but last night, I finished up almost half of the quilt top.



Piecing the triangles into rows was getting a little bit tedious, so I decided to piece a few rows and then go ahead and join them together.  Here's my issue.  Besides the obvious problem of trying to keep my points and sewing with stretchy, bias-cut fabric, I accidentally sewed two rows with the starting triangle pointing the wrong way.  The first triangles in the row should have been pointing down and I sewed them pointing up.  The easy solution is to just flip the entire row, except that messes with the fabric layout.  So, needless to say, I made the best of it and have a few fabrics closer together than I would rather.  grrrr...



I have managed to keep most of my triangle points, although the very first row I sewed has some questionable results.  Oh well, working with triangles is new for me, so I'm chalking it up to a learning experience!  Five rows down, seven to go!


23 comments:

  1. What great fabric and colors! Looking good. Welcome back! I'm glad that you are feeling good about your test....I had not doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also doing the triangle quilt along, Kelly. Love your colour choices. I, too became tired of piecing them together a couple at a time and doing exactly what you chose to do :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the yellow! Sunshiny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was tricky!! But like you I'm chalking it up to first time learning curve!!! Love your bright palette! Once it's all together and quilted, you won't even see those minor issues!!! 💗

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very cheery color palette. :) And the nice thing is that with a scrappy looking quilt like that imperfect points will got lost in the mix. So glad to hear you have good feelings about your test!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks great so far. Congrats on surviving the exam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great Kelly and you are almost all caught up :) Love the colors.

    Welcome to the other side of the exam! You made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly! This looks great! I love triangle and your colours and Fabrics are beautiful! Don't worry about the points, this is hand made and it may show. I prefer creativity and don't mind a little bit unperfectnes. I'm glad your exams are over (are they all?) - good luck - I hope you did well! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found that pins were my friends! Lots of pins! But my top is together, backing ready, batting ready, just need the time to quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how you do it but you color choices are always so cool they make me want to run out and buy fabric!! I can't give any advice on triangles, mine turned out pretty good but that was a complete fluke!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kelly - your fabrics look wonderful together. About the perfection thing...it's over-rated! As my daughter tells me, "if it's perfect, it has no soul". In other words, the little imperfections give it soul, otherwise a machine could have made it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow that looks like a nice warm summer breeze. I just love the colors, great job! I think sometimes one or two closer together actually gives things a better movement. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's looking super !~! I love the Spring-ness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those colors are saying "pull up a rocker here on the porch and have some orange-lemon-limeade"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those colors are saying "pull up a rocker here on the porch and have some orange-lemon-limeade"!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your colors! I have the fabric to start a triangle quilt, but haven't cut into it yet. What size are your triangles? I am wanting to use the whole length (width?) of my ruler...which I think would be 8in. But I don't think I have seen anyone ever do that. I'm sorry we will miss you at our MQG meeting! You will just have to bring lots of stuff for use to see when you come back.
    - Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. It will be fabulous when you are done! it is all about learning as you go and you won't miss those few points. The color and fabrics are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is lovely!! Triangles give me fits! But I love your color layout!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes! Congrats on completing your exams, Kelly! You are such a whirlwind when you get in front of that sewing machine. Great progress so far. Points-smoints! Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm crazy about those gorgeous colours! Such a happy quilt this is going to be. Great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmm, fruit sorbet.....I think you're doing fine, as long as you're happy with the outcome I think perfection is not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't done triangles yet, but yours look great! I love your fabric choices. Have fun finishing it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips