Page Buttons

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A First Quilt- Ivy on the Iron Gate

Quilt infatuation- I'll gladly spread it around!  In my last post I mentioned that my aunt and uncle were coming in town for a visit.  Besides visiting Graceland, Sun Studio, and other Memphis attractions, one of the main reasons for their visit was so I could teach my aunt to quilt.

Admittedly, a visit of only three full days is a really tight squeeze to accomplish all of this, but with the Beginner Quilt Along going on, I knew that would be a perfect first quilt and that we could do it!  Here are her fabric choices.

I love this color scheme.  Naming the quilt was a family affair, including the two of us, plus my mom and grandmother by phone.  I think my Dad and Grandfather even suggested a few.  We were cracking each other up with silly names, like Grasshopper Pie, and Mixed Olives (you know, black and green), but finally decided to call it Ivy on the Iron Gate.  It's a nod to the color scheme, and the scroll pattern of some of the black and white fabrics.


With just a few hiccups and a little help and supervision, BB cut the fabric, pieced the quilt top, and we got it basted and quilted all in one (very long) day!


That only left the binding for the second day, which proved to be a little trickier (particularly the corners).  In the end though, it got done and looks great!







So, although I haven't been working on another quilt myself, I get to take some ownership in this one, since my aunt didn't even know how to thread the sewing machine or wind the bobbin when she first got here.  Now, she's got a finished quilt under her belt and lots more confidence- and that's a win for both of us!

This one won't go into my Finished Quilts page, but I did want to let you know what I've been up to over the last couple of days!


11 comments:

  1. Love the quilt. It's fun being able to share the art of quilting with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spread it, girl! These colors look great together and I love the name.
    Mary, another Louisiana girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. so great! and what an accomplishment in such a short time. Keep spreading the love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So bright and clean! Great quilt. The blacks were the perfect neutral!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol @ grasshopper pie. I heart that one and probably would have kept it! The quilt looks great, I love the colors! Teaching is often far more difficult than the doing and usually you learn something too along the way! Good for you and your aunt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat to teach a family member how to quilt and in 3 days!! My hats off to you.

    Love the name of this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Neat to see the finished quilt - that was fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, spread the quilt love! Good job teaching your aunt to quilt. And wow, I can't believe she finished her first quilt in three days! Quite an accomplishment, for both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great project to work on together! I love the green with the black and white too - very elegant choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a beginning quilter anymore (at least I don't think so!), but I love this quilt! I'm going to have to join in your quilt along!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a gorgeous quilt, great job ladies :-) There's no turning back for you aunt now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips